on writers and motivation

6:30 AM


One thing that I love about writing is that the first few stages of it are more often than not, solitary.  Sure, I brainstorm with people sometimes, but overall, planning schedules and techniques, researching, and writing it out is more or less one of those things that you reserve for yourself. Nothing makes me happier than spending a night immersed in half plotting my story and half reading writing blogs on the craft.

However, while I immerse myself in the solitude, I do tend to feel down. Don’t we all? Since writing is a closed-door thing, the support is left stuck right behind the door. Writing is a crippling love. We put our entire souls into it, and sometimes our souls are just left empty.

That’s where the support comes in. We need support / motivation / encouragement to keep us going. We can’t exactly handle writing like a sport or instrument. We can’t lug writing on the stage, perform it (spoken word and poetry slams are an exception of course!), and wait for the applause. We can’t bring it to a court, dribble and shoot, and take a confetti-smothered trophy home.

So how do we get support?


 I love this quote so much (credits to Google!)
What I’ve found cool is that when I talk to my friends and family about writing, all I need is to dodge the ‘So when can I read your writing?’ question, and they’re a box full of support. It’s still terrifying for me to explain my writing to people I know, but the reward — so much curiosity packed with encouraging words — is so worth the risk.


 I think this is one of my favorite quotes that really catapulted me into writing. Credits to Pinterest.

It doesn’t always have to be food. We can treat ourselves to this great book we’ve been eyeing in the bookstore, a proper night of full sleep, a movie night, some tea or hot chocolate, or a hangout with a friend. Little rewards, scattered every now and then, can boost our motivation!


Okay so this quote is amazing + credits to Google again!
We shouldn’t always try to overwork ourselves. I’ve noticed ‘work’ days limited to a few hours are much better than cramming my writing into just one long slog of a day. It keeps me lucid and at the same time I feel a strange kind of slow, rewarding productivity.


So here's another quote I guess?! Google, thank you.

It’s hard to be a writer. The support and the help isn’t there enough, because honestly, people don’t really get why we struggle at writing when we’re writers. So we can accept our emotions and try to understand and process them. Then: voila, respect for ourselves and our emotions morphs into us transforming into our own cheerleaders.


I love you Google for providing me access to amazing writing quotes.

This is my favorite recommendation. Supporting other writers not only makes them happy, but it makes you feel so much better as a person / writer. Most of the time, those you support tend to motivate you right back, so it’s great that in writing communities, from in-person to online are full of encouragement being passed around.


I’m 59302857% ready to give motivation to you! Tell me: what parts of writing do you need motivation the most, and what do you do if you need it?

(Oh, and wanted to pop in and say that I'm sorry this is a late post?! I'm actually on vacation, traveling abroad, so I have to scavenge for WiFi only when I can -- and when I'm not faced with scenic beauties that you'll see in April's Quarterly Wrap-Up! I'll reply to you all soon!)


- Andrea <3

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Great post! We especially need motivation because of NaNoWriMo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gray! Oooh yes. Writing can get really tough without encouragement, and I think that's why NaNoWriMo is an amazing help: writers all get together and cheer each other on!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU FOR THIS. I'm really in a pit with my editing right now. I had a bunch of school stuff taking up my writing time, and it's almost scary to find that I can't get my writing done like I used to anymore. This post was a huge help! Thank you!

    <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Audrey <3 I have to say, I loved your encouraging post on dreamers! It was a great source of motivation for me.

      Ugh, and I have to agree with you on school taking up my time! I barely write anymore with the things I have to do for school.

      I hope your editing goes well! You deserve the best.

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  3. Ah, motivation, my old friend who has abandoned me. XD I dunno man, this year I've got so much more to do than ever but every morning all I want to do is stay lying in bed for five more minutes!

    Thanks for the encouragement, Andrea! I think that every writer can use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bed is always tempting, right? However I hope this year is going well for you, writing-wise.

      Thank you, Emily! *sends you a bottomless jar of motivation*

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  4. This is such an encouraging post, Andrea! The best thing I found about joining this 'blogosphere' was finding such an amazing and supporting community of writers. I probably spend time reading/writing comments that I should use for writing, but all you guys are just so encouraging to everyone!

    You're travelling abroad? Awesome! Is the change of scenery helping your writing? (or do you miss your routines??) Keep safe and have heaps of fun. ;)

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Jem! I'm still quite new to the blogosphere, but I definitely have no regrets about joining it. I'm sooo happy we both find it as a great way to give and recieve motivation at the same time.

      Yes! I've been taking loads of pictures and will be posting about my trip soon :) It's definitely impacted me as I am now plotting like a fierce tornado -- which I never expected!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  5. You always leave such kind comments on my blog, so thank you! <3 That's such a lovely kind of motivation in itself. :) I usually need lots of motivation in the latter drafts of my stories, where I have to try and fix up my sloppy first draft mistakes. Slow progress can be quite discouraging at times.
    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is the greatest, Melissa! Comments make my day -- like I get this giddy smile on my face when I learn someone has left a comment on my post, haha!

      *mails you a neverending supply of motivation* I completely get what you mean with slow progress. When I see lots of other writers pounding out outlines and drafts I get discouraged, but have to remind myself that I am not like them and to cheer them on for being amazing in their own way!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete

Hey, amazing human being. Thank you so much for commenting! Be sure to check back for my reply <3