the ingredients of hype

12:18 AM


Totally unrelated picture above but welcome to another post.

I’m not really one for hyped books. I usually try to go against the hype (that’s just me, okay? I just get pressured and nervous) but many times I have to admit that I end up getting curious to check out the hyped book for itself, and even read it. 

Don’t get me wrong though, I love how book hypes work. It’s a great opportunity for authors, and it lets readers explore more in terms of the books they read. YES TO THE HYPE, BASICALLY.

After much careful analyzation, I have discovered the five main ingredients of hype. At some points I will also be referencing hyped YA books!


Nothing is more exciting, in my opinion, when it comes to hypes that draw out the reveals slowly, but steadily. Say, the title is given first, then the cover is released, and after a few weeks, the blurb and in the following weeks, the author posting sneak peek sentences or paragraphs on Twitter and Instagram.

I remember the hype for Jennifer Niven’s ‘Holding Up the Universe’ quite clearly! During her book signing, which I attended, she explained her new book briefly, and after meeting Jennifer, all the readers got sample chapter booklets!


Probably the most stressful book signing I'd ever attended. Anyway, credits to this blog for the picture.

If it’s a well-known author, that’s already a huge ingredient in the hype. Think of Cassandra Clare and ‘Lady Midnight’. When it was announced she was writing a new series (or two, right?) all everyone could talk about was “HEY CASSANDRA CLARE IS WRITING A NEW BOOK!” It’s also a great selling point for authors who have an audience: it lets the readers know the author will be putting something out for them to read the following year or two. 

This also works for debut authors, too! I love discovering new debut authors because they have so much potential. I check their social media and blog/website right away. Also, if the debut author is given praise from other authors well-versed already in the writing and publishing industry, I immediately am hooked. 


I hate to be shallow but if the cover is beautiful I start wishing it was in my shelf, and then mentally plotting how to get the book on its release day. 

Like Stephanie Garber’s ‘Caraval’! When I looked at the cover I decided it was a must-have, and I finished reading it last month which was a great pleasure.


Just saying. It's beautiful. .

Usually when the book explores topics that I want to learn more about, it’s an automatic addition to my mental TBR list. ‘And I Darken’ by Kiersten White was greatly hyped for its setting and twist on the anti-heroine FEMALE Dracula, so it was a need, basically. Same goes for VE Schwab’s ‘This Savage Song’. Monsters set in a contemporary setting? Say no more.


Hello but does this not scream MUST READ?

This is it guys, it all boils down to the blurb, honestly. The blurb that’s short, sweet, and okay, peppered with acclaims from authors that I already know and love, is what really compels me to read the book.


Hyped or not, it's the blurb that really matters to me!

Of course, there is always the question on whether the book — I am using an informal word as I can’t think of anything other one — owned the hype. Have you read any hyped books worth the anticipation, and likewise, read books that didn’t reach the hype?

- Andrea <3

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Wow-- I can't believe you got to go to the Holding Up the Universe book signing!! That's so amazing-- I'm so so jealous haha. I love Jennifer Niven. I love all these ingredients- I definitely agree. Great post!
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually for All the Bright Places, but at that time she was hyping up HUTU! :) Thank you for stopping by, Vivian!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  2. This is such a creative post! <3

    Hmm...I usually wait a few months to read the "hyped books," unless they're by an author that I know. I think all these ingredients are the perfect storm for a hyped book though ;-)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey <3

      Oooh yes I agree! I'd wait for the reviews to pile up to decide whether I'd really enjoy it or not.

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I think you nailed it on the head with all your ingredients, though as always it depends on the cook/author to deliver a good or bad dish/book. I'll only approach a hyped book if the blurb seems AMAZING. Otherwise I'll take a step back from the flailing fan-girls and kindly say "no thanks, not for me." Again, awesome post! XD

    Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa!

      YES. Absolutely. I sometimes get disappointed with books by authors that I love, because their upcoming book doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy. However, I would give it a try :)

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  4. So I've never really thought of this before? But it does make sense, how the industry will slowly trickle out information to readers. If they keep something from us, we'll want it more and end up buying the book. Awesome topics are definitely a must too!

    I'm not much for blurbs though? Or hyped books for that matter unless someone who's reading tastes are similar to mine likes it or if I just get super curious.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The industry is honestly soooo smart when it comes to marketing.

      That's really interesting, Ashley! I've never really been compelled to read a hyped book without really getting into the blurb -- maybe that's just me.

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete

Hey, amazing human being. Thank you so much for commenting! Be sure to check back for my reply <3